martedì 26 settembre 2017

Overcoming My Fear Of Horses

I grew up in a big city, but used to visit the countryside all the time due to my uncle’s ranch. There I would ride horses the whole summer long, cantering, galloping, going up and down mountains, you name it. I used to feel like John Wayne e Clint Eastwood, my childhood heroes.

Then, it happened, I was around 15 going down a hill on my horse and a snake showed up, scaring the big fella, who started bucking like crazy, he was absolutely insane with the sight of the snake, throwing me meters away on the rocks. I fell before, I think everybody falls from the horse at least once, but that time was different, I was alone, my arm broke, so did my helmet (good thing I was wearing it that day, it wasn’t a habit of mine).

Fast forward to today, years and years without riding again. I had no trouble being around horses, I could still take care of them, feed them, guide them by the reins and so on, but I couldn’t begin to imagine myself on one of them without my heart racing.

Then I went to Prategiano. I had been drifting for a while then and ended up in the hotel almost by accident. I saw how well the horses were treated, how confident their caretakers were and how enthusiastic everyone around was about them. The question I heard the most was: “Do you ride?” How should I reply to that? Yeah, sure, I know how to ride, but do I still ride, more than a decade after my last time?

I decided it was time to get back on the horse (pun intended) and if I was going to do this, it would be at the Prategiano. They are prepared enough to help me overcome the trauma.

The girls at the stable were amazing, helping me step-by-step, some basic lessons to get off the rust out of my bones and then some trails. They even taught me how to properly do things I’ve been doing wrong my whole life for lack of formal training, like standing up during uphills and how to adjust my saddle to keep me in the right position.

Thanks to the Prategiano and their staff I felt like John Wayne again, reliving my childhood and instead of being nervous about getting on a horse, I just can’t wait to ride towards the sunset on the horizon.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento